Whether you are moving into your first home or moving on to your dream home, shopping during the cold winter months can be a daunting experience. From traversing snow-clogged roads to checking out the landscaping in subzero temperatures, there are lots of things to dread about buying a home in the winter.
And while that may be true, there are plenty of reasons to love the season as well. If you are ready to buy a home, you just might find winter to be the perfect time. Here are eight great reasons to buy your next home in the winter.
- Less competition – The fact that winter is an unpopular time to buy a home can work in your favor. With less competition, you can drive a harder bargain, making your first-time buyer dollars stretch farther.
- More time with your real estate agent – Real estate agents tend to be less busy in the cold winter months, and that could mean more time with your agent. You can use that time to lay out your requirements, making finding the perfect home easier.
- Cheaper moves – Moving companies also tend to be less in demand during the winter, and that could mean a less expensive move when the time comes.
- Holiday sales on home décor – The holiday season is a great time to buy home décor and furniture, especially if you are shopping for your first home. Reducing the cost of home furnishings will be even more important now that you have a monthly mortgage payment to make.
- Motivated sellers – Homeowners with properties to sell may be more motivated as the cold weather months drag on, and that could be good news for you as a first-time buyer.
- Vital information on road maintenance – Some neighborhoods are better at clearing ice and snow than others, and shopping in the winter can be a very enlightening experience. When you need to get to work, you want to know local road crews are up to the task.
- Faster closing times – Time-to-closing tends to be faster in the winter, simply because there are fewer buyers competing for those limited resources. If you need to move fast, winter could be the perfect time to shop.
- An inside look at hidden damage – Some problems, like clogged gutters or leaking roofs, may be easier to spot when there is ice and snow on the ground. The ability to uncover that hidden damage could net you a lower price – or stop you from making a costly mistake.
Buying a home during the winter months can be challenging, but there is a lot to love about this time of year. From enhanced bargaining power to more motivated sellers, buying a home in the cold winter months has its perks, including the eight big benefits outlined above.